Hello from Serve the City Polska,
We are facing an unprecedented situation in our nation and world these days. While everyone is trying to navigate what is best for them, let’s also think about what’s best for our neighbor. We would like to invite all of our volunteers, friends, and anyone who wants to help their neighbors to participate in this on-going project in spite of the Coronavirus threat.
Our values at Serve the City, Humility, Compassion, Respect, Courage, Love, and Hope demand we take action during this time. We will act responsibly, and at the same time with courage and sacrifice to serve our neighbors who need help for any reason. It is with these values in mind that we encourage anyone able to offer help and #SpreadKindness by letting them know you are available to assist them.
Update 24/3/20: The Polish government has enacted further restrictions, thankfully volunteer activity related to helping people in need during this time is an allowed activity, read the latest here (in polish).
This is a simple project of kindness to offer your neighbors help by getting their groceries, walking their dog, going to the pharmacy, etc, in order to assist a family with kids at home, your elderly neighbor, or someone not able to expose themselves to the threat of the virus.
Our international team is also posting projects that can be done by individuals and small groups, or perhaps teams via video conference. See the list here.
Please participate only if you meet the following criteria:
- You are 100% feeling well (no sickness of any kind)
- Have not been in contact with anyone not feeling well (any sickness)
- You have had NO contact with anyone who has contact with the Coronavirus
Please keep in mind the following while helping your neighbors:
- Follow all recommended hygiene practices diligently (hand washing, use gloves when touching shared surfaces, etc)
- Avoid all physical contact (hugs, kisses, handshakes, etc)
- Use alcohol based hand sanitizer
Our international Serve the City theme for 2020 is “Kindness starts with me” so let’s put that into action and #SpreadKindness!
Instructions for those that can participate:
- Click here to access the flyer which can be printed, it is in two languages (Polish and English), so we can try to reach all of our neighbors.
- If you do not have a printer, feel free to participate anyway and use the flyer as a template for creating your own notes to place in your neighbor’s letterboxes.
- At all times practice social distancing, remain at least 1.5 meters from all others, particularly at shops and in queues.
- Please do not ask for money upfront, unless offered. This way there is no question that someone will think you are scamming them. Please provide the receipt(s) for the items you buy, and leave the receipt with your neighbor, this way they can transfer you the money or drop cash in your letter box
- If you want to be more generous and offer to pay without being paid back, please feel free to do so, in these stressful times small acts of kindness like this go a long way.