We have a great opportunity for those that speak English, native speakers and non-native speakers (at the C1 level) are welcome! Serve the City Kraków is looking for volunteers who could commit 90 minutes every other week to provide English conversation opportunities for a group of teachers and caregivers in the Special Purpose School and Education Center for intellectually challenged kids (SOS-W no 4 on H. Wietora Street [Kraków]), and, possibly, their branch office in Osiedle Zielone [Kraków – Nowa Huta]). If you are a native speaker or speak English at roughly C1 level or above, and you want to give something back to people who on a regular basis pour their hearts out to help very challenged kids, and you have 90 minutes every second week to spare to get to know the dedicated staff and help them learn English, you are the right kind of person for the project! No prior experience of teaching or special qualification needed apart from what you feel your heart qualifies you to do.
Last year volunteers of Serve the City taught for two semesters and it was a great experience for both volunteers and the staff of the two schools. Help us keep the momentum, so that we together can keep this awesome volunteering opportunity going for the good of Kraków and the people who live here.
- Commencement – October 24 (Wietora), October 25 (Osiedle Zielone)
- Two levels: beginner’s and intermediate (only in Wietora, Osiedle Zielone – only intermediate)
- English conversations are for the teachers and caregivers in the school (not with the kids), other opportunities to volunteer with the kids will be available soon.
- Groups around 8 people each (to be confirmed)
- Classes – 90 minutes, starting at 16:00 on Wednesdays (Wietora), and possibly Thursdays (Osiedle Zielone)
- This English course has a great flexibility designed to reflect the giftings and preferences of the volunteers, though both groups have their coursebooks as well.
- Groups meet once a week
- Commitment to at least one semester to half a year
- Number of teachers needed: two per each group per week
- The school has multimedia projectors and whiteboards
Location of schools:
If you are interested please sign up by clicking the button below and filling in the signup form, we will contact you as soon as possible with further details and begin scheduling! If the schedule is already full of volunteers we will need some “backup” volunteers from time to time.