We have a great opportunity for those that speak English, native speakers and non-native speakers (at the C1 level) are welcome! Serve the City Kraków is looking for volunteers who could commit 90 minutes every other week to provide English conversation opportunities for a group of teachers and caregivers in the Special Purpose School and Education Center for intellectually challenged kids (SOS-W no 4 on H. Wietora Street [Kraków]). If you are a native speaker or speak English at C1 level or above, if you want to give something back to people who on a regular basis pour their hearts out to help very challenged kids, if you have 90 minutes every second week to spare to get to know the dedicated staff and help them learn English, you are the right kind of person for the project! No prior experience of teaching or special qualification needed apart from what you feel your heart qualifies you to do.
- Two levels: beginner’s and intermediate
- English conversations are for the teachers and caregivers in the school (not with the kids), other opportunities to volunteer with the kids will be available soon.
- Groups around 10 people each (to be confirmed)
- Classes on Wednesdays – 90 minutes, starting at 15:15 (if possible, but reasonable flexibility expected, 16:00 at the latest)
- English course will have two segments (“classic” book course – already one certified teacher committed but anyone willing would be welcome as well; conversational – immersion in the natural language situations)
- Groups meet once a week at the same time in different rooms
- Conversational classes on a rotating basis – one week intermediate the next, beginner’s level
- Commitment at least one semester to half a year
- Number of teachers needed: four at this time
- The school has multimedia projectors and whiteboards
Location of school: ul. Hieronima Wietora 7, 31-067 Kraków [map]
We will seek more opportunities and other places that could benefit from a similar project. Nowa Huta – a branch school of the one in Kazimierz is also interested (to be arranged though).
If you are interested please sign up by clicking the button below and filling in the signup form, we will contact you as soon as possible with further details and begin scheduling! If the schedule is already full of volunteers we will need some “backup” volunteers from time to time.